Dimethyl carbonate (DMC) is used as a VOC-exempt solvent in many paints and coatings. It is a fast evaporating polar solvent and can replace esters, glycol ethers and ketones in formulations. DMC can be used as a methylating and carbonylating reagent in organic synthesis.
- Competitively priced vs MEK, MAK, Toluene
- Good solvency: works well in acrylics and alkyds
- Medium-fast evaporation rate
- Low MIR value: one of the lowest MIR value of any liquid chemical in commercial production
- Readily biodegradable with low potential to bio-accumulate or be persistent in the environment